Thursday, November 12, 2009

What happened to New York?

So what became of the thoughtfully planned trip to New York for our third wedding anniversary, which seemed to have been going so well? After four blissful days, where we were clocking food at pace with my warp-speed itinerary, my plans were hijacked by illness. All I could think those last few days curled up in the fetal position in bed in the hotel room was, "the best-laid plans ... this is what happens to the best-laid plans." As a friend said to me later, it was hubris. We flew too close to the sun, and we burned off a wing ... err, I should say I burned off a wing, because the husband was just fine and while he enjoys being spoiled by my careful planning, he doesn't really have his heart and soul in it as I do. He went along his merry way, hunting, gathering and generally taking care of me.

We did manage to cross off a few of the more low key items off the itinerary, however. Indeed, right before the trip was essentially shut down, we managed to have a brilliant afternoon in Chelsea. We woke up late and hungry, so we started with Corner Bistro. The menu was simple enough, and yet we had one question, "What is the Bistro Burger?" The answer came quick and simple like everything else about the place, "cheese and bacon." It seemed like the specialty of the place, and who doesn't love bacon, so I went for it. With my expectations low, and my tummy empty, I found the Bistro Burger to be delicious.
The crispy bacon went great with the thick patty, cooked medium, and the soft, sweet bun. The obligatory fries were nothing to write home about, but I didn't care. I was satisfied.
Chelsea Market was next, touted as NYC's answer to our very own beloved Ferry Building. It's not quite as bright and open as the Ferry Building, and doesn't have quite the number of exciting eateries and restaurants, but it was adorable nonetheless, including a coffee stop, multiple bakeries (a few specializing in cupcakes), a restaurant specializing in farm fresh all-natural organic ingredients, a few other restaurants (including higher-end ones like Buddakan), a newly-opened branch of Jacques Torres Chocolate, an Italian specialty foods shop where I found a giant tub of Nutella that I wished I could take home, a few food-oriented novelty shops, and a quite-out-of-place-smack-dab-in-the-center giant, smelly seafood shop called The Lobster Place, where you can buy fresh seafood as well as prepared seafood, such as sushi, clam chowder, lobster rolls, etc. The halls were decked out for Halloween, and altogether the place was warm and pleasant.
Connected to the Chelsea Market is the brand new Highline Park, a true urban oasis. Elevated above the streets, Highline Park provides some very enjoyable views, and since it's brand new, there are plenty of nice, new, clean wooden benches, including a section with wooden chaise lounges and a one-of-a-kind (at least I've never seen it before) theater-style viewing area of a movie-screen-sized window overlooking a street ... I believe it's 10th Ave.
That night, we met up with my cousin Nathan for ramen at Ippudo NY. It was a perfect choice. Nathan lived in Japan a few years back, Mark and I had just returned from Japan little more than six months before, so the Japan-quality ramen really hit the spot, especially since the weather had just turned cold that week.

We also squeezed in a few late night snacks before I gave up on leaving the hotel room, including Bon Chon chicken (a little too sweet and spicy when you're sober)
and pork buns and crack pie at Momofuku Milk Bar, both super rich, but down right delicious

No comments:

Post a Comment